Home/Letters/RC/RS/2026/T.22

Letter from the table · RC/RS/2026/T.22

A flood does not wait for a declaration

A Singaporean member replies to Lina in Iloilo, urging the Resilience Council to amend RS-001 so its support can reach small firms facing localized floods and slow-moving claims.

Xin Yi GohContributor · Resilience Council · SingaporeSingapore, Singapore
Resilience5 August 2026Proposes amendment
3 pages · US Letter

Use Readable text for larger type, or zoom in on the pages.

Resilience Council

RC/RS/2026/T.22published

A flood does not wait for a declaration

Letter from the table

RC/RS/2026/T.22
5 August 2026
To the Resilience Council

I read Lina’s letter from Iloilo and recognized the distance between a business being able to reopen and a form saying the claim is still being assessed. I am writing to support the Reopen Standard, but to ask the Council to amend it before it becomes a draft. A standard that depends too heavily on a formally declared disaster could leave out the owners who are already counting days without income.

On 17 June this year, heavy rain flooded the ground-floor workroom I use for my small operation. Water came in at the entrance and spread across the floor. It was not a dramatic scene from far away. It was a wet floor, equipment moved onto raised shelves, and the calculation that every hour spent cleaning was an hour I could not spend working.

I checked PUB’s flood updates and kept photographs of the water and the damage. I contacted my landlord, arranged an electrician to inspect the affected fittings, and notified my insurer. I also saved receipts for cleaning, replacement items and temporary arrangements. The immediate outlay came to about S$2,700. I estimate that cancelled work and interruptions cost a further S$3,400 over the following weeks. Those are not tidy numbers: some costs were paid, some were estimates, and some lost work cannot be invoiced after the fact.

The insurer asked for documents in stages. I sent what I had, then waited while the claim was reviewed. I do not suggest that an insurer should decide a claim without checking it. But as a small operator, I had no dedicated claims staff and no spare cash set aside for an indefinite wait. I could not point to a single public rule that guaranteed my business a decision within 30 days; I had to work through the policy wording and

RC/RS/2026/T.22Page 1 of 3
Resilience CouncilRC/RS/2026/T.22 · Continued

the insurer’s process. Meanwhile, rent and ordinary bills did not pause because the floor had been cleaned.

I tried to keep the operation going with the least expensive temporary arrangement I could manage. I spoke with the landlord, shifted work where possible, and called suppliers to explain why payment might be late. I considered borrowing, but borrowing to cover a short interruption can turn one flooded week into months of repayments. I did not receive bridge funding. I am not claiming there is a Singapore-wide disaster grant that I applied for and was refused; my point is that, in my case, there was no quick, dependable cash route between the damage and the eventual insurance decision.

That is why I support the principle of RS-001: a decision within 30 days, bridge funding within 10 days, and practical continuity support. But I ask the Council to amend the trigger and the meaning of “decision.” In Singapore, a localized flood may be serious for one street or one unit without becoming a formally declared disaster. PUB’s public flood information can help document conditions, but a small business should not have to wait for a declaration designed for a much larger event before it can seek help.

I would amend the draft in three ways. First, allow a verified local interruption to qualify: evidence could include a relevant public flood alert or incident record, photographs, and reasonable confirmation from a landlord, insurer or other appropriate source. The list should be flexible, so an owner is not excluded because one particular notice was never issued. Second, require a clear claim timetable: a decision within 30 days after the required documents are complete, with a written update at regular intervals and a specific list of anything still missing. Where part of a claim is not disputed, the standard should encourage a prompt interim payment rather than making the owner wait for every item to be settled. Third, make bridge funding available after verified interruption, not only after a formal disaster declaration. The amount and checks can be proportionate; speed does not have to mean no safeguards.

The Reopen Map could help make these distinctions visible. For each report, record the date of interruption, the first meaningful payment or claim decision, and the date the business resumed normal work. Keep the location broad enough to protect members. If the map shows that owners in several places are waiting for the same kind of document or

RC/RS/2026/T.22Page 2 of 3
Resilience CouncilRC/RS/2026/T.22 · Continued

decision, the Council can describe that pattern without naming a company or exposing a member.

One UNDRR estimate says small and medium-sized enterprises bear about 75 per cent of business disaster losses.1 That figure is a reason to take small firms seriously, not a reason to assume every flood looks alike. A standard should work for a major emergency and for the less visible event that empties one owner’s cash reserve.

So my stance is amend. Keep the deadlines and continuity support, but make the route to them usable when the damage is local, the evidence is imperfect, and the owner has to reopen before the paperwork is finished. Lina’s letter reminded me that the days to reopen are counted in rent, wages, supplier calls and the decision whether to keep going. The Council should write a standard that counts those days too.

Xin Yi GohContributor · Resilience CouncilSingapore, Singapore

Notes and sources

  1. UNDRR, “Supporting disaster risk reduction and resilience practices for small and medium-sized enterprises.” ↩

Sources

  1. UNDRR — Supporting disaster risk reduction and resilience practices for small and medium-sized enterprises
RC/RS/2026/T.22Page 3 of 3

Replies 5

Teodoro Cabahug Cebu, Philippines · 8 August 2026

I agree with Xin Yi Goh that a flood does not need to become a national headline before a small operator needs help. In Cebu, heavy rain can disrupt a neighborhood even when the damage is uneven and no broad declaration follows. I have seen how the first costs arrive immediately: cleaning, transport, and replacing damaged equipment, while income stops. I would support an amendment that accepts dated photos, receipts, and local reports as initial evidence, with later verification where needed. Could the Council also allow a modest first payment while the full claim is still being assessed?

Gabriel Ferreira Ottawa, Canada · 11 August 2026

I support the request to make the standard work for localized flooding. In Ottawa, I have seen how a water problem can affect one block or a handful of premises without producing the kind of event that attracts a formal declaration. The owner still has to document damage, arrange repairs, and keep bills paid. I would not make photographs or receipts a perfect test; people may be cleaning before they can record everything. A simple provisional route, followed by a fair review, seems more useful than waiting for every document. How will RS-001 distinguish reasonable estimates of lost work from amounts that can be proved by invoices?

Chiara Esposito Bologna, Italy · 13 August 2026

I read this as a practical plea, not a request to lower standards for evidence. In Bologna, I have watched localized water damage leave one shop or workshop struggling while nearby streets carry on as usual. That contrast can make the loss seem too small to matter, even when the interruption is severe for the person affected. I would welcome a process that lets owners submit a basic record first and add documents later. At the same time, I would want clear guidance on what counts as a reasonable estimate for cancelled work. Otherwise, a flexible rule could still leave claimants guessing what the assessor expects.

More from the Resilience Council

A decision made in time to reopen

Xoán López Casal argues that the Reopen Standard should set clear timelines for insurance decisions and bridge funding, alongside practical continuity support for micro businesses after disasters.

Xoán López Casal · 26 October 2026Read →

A Decision Deadline Is a Reopening Tool

Gregorio Yap argues that RS-001 must require insurers to decide claims within 30 days and make bridge funding available within 10 days of a declared disaster.

Gregorio Yap · 25 October 2026Read →
Spotted a factual error on this page? Tell the Secretariat.