Home/Letters/RC/RS/2026/T.2

Letter from the table · RC/RS/2026/T.2

Letter from the table: A claim measured in weeks

Naveen Siddappa supports the Reopen Standard, but asks the Council to clarify its deadlines and cover small, localized emergencies that may not trigger a formal disaster declaration.

Naveen SiddappaContributor · Resilience Council · IndiaJaipur, India
Resilience12 May 2026Proposes amendment
3 pages · US Letter

Use Readable text for larger type, or zoom in on the pages.

Resilience Council

RC/RS/2026/T.2published

Letter from the table: A claim measured in weeks

Letter from the table

To the Resilience Council:

I support the Reopen Standard, with amendments. I am writing from Jaipur, where I have kept the papers from one bad week together in a folder: photographs, repair receipts, claim acknowledgements, and the dates I wrote down as things happened. I do not want the Council to make a promise that sounds simple but becomes difficult to use when an owner is already trying to keep a business open. The dates and amounts below are from my own records.

On 18 July 2025, overnight monsoon rain entered the premises where I work. By morning, water had reached electrical fittings and equipment. I photographed the damage before moving anything. I spent ₹6,400 on urgent electrical work and ₹12,700 on pumping, drying, and temporary repairs. Those were not improvements; they were the minimum steps I believed were needed to make the space safe and usable. I also paid ₹9,600 for replacement materials and another ₹8,300 for work that could not wait for a final insurance decision.

I notified my insurer on 19 July and submitted the claim on 21 July. I kept the acknowledgement. A surveyor visited on 24 July. On 28 July I sent the documents requested at the visit, including photographs, bills, and a written account of what had happened. On 11 August I received a request for further documents. I sent them the next day. I am not arguing that an insurer should decide a claim without checking it. I am saying that I needed to know what was missing, and what would happen next, while expenses were continuing.

The written decision arrived on 15 September. That was 56 days after I first submitted the claim and 49 days after I had sent the documents requested following the survey. The amount I had claimed was ₹1,12,400. The amount approved was ₹73,600. I received the payment on 18 September. I could understand that a claim might be

RC/RS/2026/T.2Page 1 of 3
Resilience CouncilRC/RS/2026/T.2 · Continued

assessed below the amount requested; what I could not plan around was the long period without a clear decision date.

While I waited, I used savings and borrowed ₹40,000 to cover urgent costs. I postponed work that could have waited and spent evenings following up instead of preparing for the next day. The money mattered, but so did the uncertainty. I had no practical way to tell whether I should keep arranging temporary repairs, wait for the claim, or make other plans. For a small operation, a delay does not stay inside the insurance file. It spreads into wages, household decisions, and the ability to reopen normally.

I also checked what help was available locally. In Rajasthan, a formal disaster declaration can matter when public relief or a disaster-linked programme is involved. My records do not show that my locality was covered by a declaration that would activate such assistance. That distinction is important: a serious loss can be very real to one small business without becoming a formally declared disaster across a district or state. A standard tied only to formal declarations could leave owners facing localized flooding or storm damage outside the bridge-funding route.

My first amendment is to define the 30-day insurance deadline as 30 calendar days from receipt of a complete claim file, while requiring the insurer to acknowledge the claim and identify any missing documents promptly. If more information is needed, the owner should receive one clear, consolidated request where practicable, rather than having to guess whether the file is still moving. If an exceptional delay is unavoidable, the owner should receive a written reason, a named contact, and a date for the next update. The clock should not be reset silently.

My second amendment is to preserve the 10-day bridge-funding commitment after a declared disaster, but make clear that the bridge is a provisional payment for immediate continuity needs, not a final decision on insurance coverage. The application should ask for simple proof of impact and identity, not a perfect file assembled during the first days after a storm. The Council should also add a route for verified, localized emergencies when no formal declaration has been made. That route could use evidence such as dated photographs, repair records, and confirmation from an appropriate local authority or qualified assessor. The point is not to treat every repair as a public disaster; it is to prevent the

RC/RS/2026/T.2Page 2 of 3
Resilience CouncilRC/RS/2026/T.2 · Continued

absence of a broad declaration from being the only answer to a small owner with a documented loss.

Finally, continuity-planning support should be short and usable before the rain begins: a place to store copies of insurance and identity documents, a list of emergency contacts, a basic record of equipment and other assets, and a simple plan for securing the premises and communicating with workers or customers. It should be available to a person working alone, not designed only for a firm with an office manager.

Please amend the draft on those points. I support its direction: decisions should have a deadline, urgent money should not arrive only after reopening has already become impossible, and planning should be within reach of the smallest operators. My own file shows why the details of those promises matter. When the next storm comes, an owner should be able to spend less time proving that the clock has started and more time getting safely back to work.

Naveen SiddappaContributor · Resilience CouncilJaipur, India

RC/RS/2026/T.2Page 3 of 3

Replies 2

Sebastian Müller Vancouver, Canada · 18 May 2026

I recognize the problem Naveen describes: the dates can be clear to the owner and still disappear into a long exchange of requests. In Vancouver, I have seen localized water damage leave a small operator dealing with cleanup and repairs before anyone knows whether public emergency measures will apply. I would support a clock that starts when the insurer receives notice, with a written list of missing items if the file is incomplete. Each request should pause the clock only for a defined period, rather than resetting it. I also agree that the standard should cover small incidents without a formal declaration. What would count as adequate local verification when a municipal inspection is not available?

Sofia Laskari Patras, Greece · 24 May 2026

I agree with Naveen’s emphasis on a bad week rather than a headline disaster. In Greece, people can face serious, concentrated losses from a localized flood or fire even when the event does not produce a broad emergency declaration. The process should not confuse the size of the news story with the seriousness of an individual interruption. I would make the dates in the claim file visible to both sides and require a reasoned status update whenever a deadline is missed. Owners should not have to guess whether a request for more documents has restarted the clock. I would also distinguish a request for essential evidence from a request that can wait until after an initial decision.

More from the Resilience Council

A decision made in time to reopen

Xoán López Casal argues that the Reopen Standard should set clear timelines for insurance decisions and bridge funding, alongside practical continuity support for micro businesses after disasters.

Xoán López Casal · 26 October 2026Read →

A Decision Deadline Is a Reopening Tool

Gregorio Yap argues that RS-001 must require insurers to decide claims within 30 days and make bridge funding available within 10 days of a declared disaster.

Gregorio Yap · 25 October 2026Read →
Spotted a factual error on this page? Tell the Secretariat.