Use Readable text for larger type, or zoom in on the pages.
Resilience Council
A decision is not the same as a recovery
Letter from the table — RC/RS/2026/T.18
To the Resilience Council,
I oppose the Reopen Standard as it is presently written. I do not oppose faster claim handling or bridge funding. I oppose treating a thirty-day decision and a ten-day bridge payment as rules that can be applied in the same way to every loss, without first saying what counts as a decision, what starts the clock, and what evidence is enough.
I write from my own records of Typhoon Jebi in Osaka on 4 September 2018. I am not using this episode to say that every claim is like mine. I am using it because I kept the receipts, dates and bank entries, and because the difference between “a decision” and “being able to reopen” became very clear to me.
On 4 September, wind damaged the shutters and part of the roof at my work premises. Rain entered, and I could not safely reopen. I closed for eight days. On 5 September, I paid ¥96,000 for temporary covering and emergency work. The contractor’s invoice is dated that day. It stopped further water entering, but it did not make the premises ready for normal use.
On 7 September, I went to the ward office to ask what official damage record I should obtain. I learned that a housing damage certificate and an insurer’s assessment of damage to business premises were not the same thing. The ward office could advise on municipal documentation; it could not decide what my insurance policy covered or calculate my interruption loss. I took photographs, kept the contractor’s notes, and recorded the dates I could not work.
I notified my insurer on 12 September. I submitted the claim and supporting documents on 18 September, after obtaining a repair estimate. The estimate for permanent repairs was ¥742,000. An adjuster inspected on 3 October and asked for further photographs and a more detailed breakdown of the work. I supplied them. The insurer paid ¥642,000 on 29 October, after applying the policy terms and its assessment. That was fifty-five days after my first notification and forty-one days after I submitted the claim.
I am not accusing the insurer of bad faith. The temporary work had already been done; the permanent repair required a separate estimate; and the documents had to show which damage came from the storm. I wanted the process to move faster, but I also wanted the assessment to be accurate. A rule that requires a final decision within thirty days may encourage an insurer to close a file before the evidence is ready, or to issue a decision that is technically on time but not useful to the owner.
My cash records show why the gap mattered. During closure I still had rent, utilities and other fixed costs. I paid ¥96,000 for the emergency work before the final repair could begin. I used ¥300,000 of personal savings to keep obligations current and borrowed ¥500,000 from a relative. The insurance payment helped with repairs, but it did not arrive in time to be the money that kept me operating during the first weeks. I was fortunate to have someone I could ask. That is not a recovery system.
I also contacted Japan Finance Corporation to ask what disaster-related borrowing might be available. A loan could be relevant, but it was not the same as immediate bridge funding: it required an application, records and an assessment of my circumstances, and it would leave me with debt. Public support in Japan can depend on the programme, the affected area and the required documentation. “Within ten days of a declared disaster” needs a precise trigger. A declaration or designation does not, by itself, tell a small owner which office will provide funds, what proof is needed, or whether that owner qualifies.
For these reasons, I ask the Council not to adopt the current wording. Please separate rapid first assistance from final claim determination. An insurer could be required to acknowledge a claim promptly, identify missing documents clearly, and pay the undisputed portion as soon as it can be established. A thirty-day target could apply to straightforward claims, while a more complex assessment should require a written explanation, a named next step and a review date—not silence and not an artificial final answer.
Bridge funding should also have a workable route for a micro business that has suffered an interruption, even where a public declaration does not neatly match the local event or the owner’s type of premises. The application should accept practical evidence such as dated photographs, repair records and proof of closure, and should not require an owner to repeat the same account to several institutions. Continuity planning support should be voluntary, simple and available before a storm, not another condition imposed while a business is trying to reopen.
For the Reopen Map, I would record the dates separately: when damage occurred, when the claim was notified, when a complete submission was made, when an assessment took place, when money arrived, and when work resumed. One number called “days to decision” cannot tell the whole story. My records show that the payment date mattered, but so did the time before I could safely reopen and the money I had to find in the meantime.
I support a standard that makes recovery faster and more predictable. I oppose this draft because its deadlines, without safeguards and a clear funding trigger, may measure administrative speed instead of whether an owner can reopen. Please revise it before adoption.
Kōji FukudaContributor · Resilience CouncilOsaka, Japan