Home/Letters/RC/RS/2026/T.17

Letter from the table · RC/RS/2026/T.17

The ten‑day clock should not wait for a declaration

Nerissa Chua supports the Reopen Standard but asks the Resilience Council to amend its disaster trigger so micro businesses can seek bridge funding when a disaster has stopped them operating, even before a formal declaration.

Nerissa ChuaContributor · Resilience Council · PhilippinesCebu, Philippines
Resilience19 September 2026Proposes amendment
4 pages · US Letter

Use Readable text for larger type, or zoom in on the pages.

Resilience Council

RC/RS/2026/T.17published

The ten-day clock should not wait for a declaration

To the Resilience Council,

I support RS-001. I am asking you to amend one part of it: the words “within 10 days of a declared disaster.” For a small business, the loss can start before the declaration. If the clock starts only when the declaration is made, the standard may count ten days from a date that comes after the hardest decisions have already been forced on the owner.

I am writing from Cebu, where storm season is not an abstract risk. On 14 August 2026, after hours of heavy rain, water entered the ground floor where I work. The street outside was difficult to pass, and I could not safely reopen the next morning. I will not describe my business or what it does. I can say that I had to keep paying for the premises and meet ordinary household and business costs while income stopped.

On 15 August, I went to the barangay office to ask what documentation I should collect and whether there was a local process for recording the damage. I also tried to reach my insurer and took photographs, kept receipts, and made a list of damaged items and urgent cleaning costs. I submitted the claim materials on 20 August. I am not saying the insurer acted improperly; the point is that a claim decision and immediate cash to reopen are different needs.

By 22 August, I had paid PHP 18,600 for cleanup, drying and repairs that could not wait. I borrowed PHP 25,000 from family to cover the next week’s rent and essential expenses. I postponed other repairs and reopened only part of the premises on 27 August. The amounts are not large by institutional standards. They were large enough to determine whether I could reopen that week.

RC/RS/2026/T.17Page 1 of 4
Resilience CouncilRC/RS/2026/T.17 · Continued

The problem with the proposed trigger is that “declared disaster” is a formal administrative event, not a description of the moment a business becomes unable to trade. Under the Philippines’ disaster-risk framework, a local sanggunian may declare a state of calamity on the recommendation of the local disaster risk reduction and management council, based on damage assessment and needs analysis. That process has an important public purpose. But it may take time, and a localized impact may not produce a declaration that covers every affected street or business.

I do not want the standard to require a declaration for every flooded room, or to encourage unsupported claims. I want it to recognize that owners need a workable way to show the interruption while public assessment is still under way. The Reopen Map and the Resilience Council’s evidence gathering can help show where disruption is occurring, but an owner should not have to wait for a map or a province-wide announcement before asking for temporary help.

Proposed amendment

“Bridge funding should be made available within 10 days after a micro business reports that a disaster has prevented or materially restricted its operations, on reasonable evidence of the impact. A formal declaration of a state of calamity may support the report but is not a necessary precondition. Where verification is incomplete, an initial amount may be provided provisionally, with a proportionate review as further information becomes available.”

That wording would change the start of the clock, not remove verification. Reasonable evidence could include dated photographs, receipts, a notice or record from a barangay or local authority, or other information appropriate to the circumstances. The business should not be expected to produce documents that the disaster itself has made unavailable. The amount and review should also reflect the size of

RC/RS/2026/T.17Page 2 of 4
Resilience CouncilRC/RS/2026/T.17 · Continued

the business: a micro business should not face the same paperwork burden as a large company.

I know provisional assistance creates questions about repayment and misuse. Those questions deserve rules of their own. The standard can require clear eligibility, simple records, and fair review. It should not make a formal declaration the only door into assistance. A bridge is useful because it gets a person across a gap; it is not useful if access begins only after the gap has passed.

UNDRR has noted that small and medium-sized enterprises bear a substantial share of business disaster losses.1 That is why a standard about reopening should be tested against the owner’s actual sequence of events: damage, lost trading days, immediate bills, and only then the paperwork catching up. My experience is one account, not a rule for every disaster. But it shows why the trigger needs to fit the reality it is meant to address.

My stance is amend. Keep the ten-day commitment, but start it when a business can reasonably show that the disaster has stopped or materially restricted its operations. Let a formal declaration strengthen the evidence, not decide whether the business is allowed to ask.

Nerissa ChuaContributor · Resilience CouncilCebu, Philippines

Notes and sources

RC/RS/2026/T.17Page 3 of 4
Resilience CouncilRC/RS/2026/T.17 · Continued
RC/RS/2026/T.17Page 4 of 4

Replies 5

Dian Pratiwi Bandung, Indonesia · 21 September 2026

I agree with you, especially about the practical choices that come before any claim decision. In Bandung, heavy rain can make a route or building unusable even when official notices are still being assessed. I would not want a small operator to wait for a declaration before documenting the damage or requesting bridge help. A dated report from a local office, photographs and receipts could provide a reasonable starting record. Could the Council also allow applications through a local channel, so someone affected does not have to travel far just to meet a deadline?

Nandini Gowda Ahmedabad, India · 22 September 2026

I agree that the ten-day period should not begin only when a declaration is issued. In Ahmedabad, the disruption can be immediate: roads become difficult to use, water reaches workspaces, and owners must decide whether to clean, protect equipment or close. Those decisions cannot wait for a formal date. I would start the application window when the interruption begins, while allowing a person to submit evidence later if access or safety makes that impossible. The standard should also say plainly what counts as proof, so applicants are not guessing while trying to recover.

Lina Al-Majali Amman, Jordan · 24 September 2026

I support starting the clock when the business is actually unable to operate, rather than when a declaration eventually appears. In Amman, I have learned that official timelines and people’s immediate expenses do not always line up. Still, I would define the trigger carefully: temporary closure, unsafe access or damage that prevents normal work should be enough to apply, subject to review. I would also include a pause or extension when a person cannot safely reach an office or gather documents. A deadline should organize help, not exclude the people who need it.

More from the Resilience Council

A decision made in time to reopen

Xoán López Casal argues that the Reopen Standard should set clear timelines for insurance decisions and bridge funding, alongside practical continuity support for micro businesses after disasters.

Xoán López Casal · 26 October 2026Read →

A Decision Deadline Is a Reopening Tool

Gregorio Yap argues that RS-001 must require insurers to decide claims within 30 days and make bridge funding available within 10 days of a declared disaster.

Gregorio Yap · 25 October 2026Read →